Meet Flyin’ Ryan Hanks
The Flyin Ryan Hawks Foundation was established to not only commemorate a life well lived but to help others find the powerful sense of personal identity and decision making skills that Ryan Hawks was known for. They do this through encouraging the development of Core Values.
Core Values are a set of principals that are most important to you. They reflect what you find meaningful, worthwhile, useful or ethical. When you act on your Core Values, they allow you to consistently live the life that you think is worth living.
Your Core Values are something to consult when making difficult decisions. They will keep you grounded when you face uncertainty and new phases of life. They will help you build a life that you are proud to live.
Here are Ryan’s 14 Core Values, as written by him:
- Live every day, all day
- Never stop exploring life
- Never lose my adventuresome spirit
- Be the best friend I can be
- Be the best brother, son, uncle I can be
- Play like I am 13
- Look out for others
- Look out for myself
- Look out for our surroundings
- Be self-sufficient
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help
- Work hard
- Live easy
- Live simply
We are incredibly inspired by the Flyin Ryan Hawks foundation and are honored to deliver their message to you, the freeride family.
We believe deeply in the positive effects of developing personal core values; they grant the individual a confident sense of ownership over their lives and decisions. We think so highly of the Flyin’ Ryan program that it has become an intigral part of our coach certification courses.
We would like to extend an invitation to you to take a simple journey of self-exploration and understanding. We promise that it won’t be time wasted.
HOW TO GET STARTED
- Decide it is worth doing, and choose to do it.
- Watch the above video that introduces you to Ryan, and highlights his Core Values. Remember, your core values are YOURS, not copies of someone else’s. Decide that Core Values are cool.
- Use your smartphone, an index card, a small pad of paper, or anything portable that allows you to record your Core Values as they occur to you. These arise from your personality, your passions and your guideposts for decision making. There is no time limit; it is more of a marathon than a sprint. There is no “right” number of core values; the right number is a reflection of what is inside you, what is important to you.
- Once they are recorded, carry them with you, post them where you will see them regularly.
“We think people who know who they are, who can answer the question ‘who am I?’ are better equipped to lead succesful and more joyful lives; where their lives really match their passion.”
-Peter Hawks, founder of Flyin’ Ryan and father of Ryan Hawks
For further information on how to implement the Core Values program, please visit this page on the Flyin’ Ryan Foundation website. The IFSA wholly endorses this program and encourages all coaches, teams, and athletes to spend time developing and defining their core values.
Flyin’ Ryan Hawks scholarships are given out primarily to those that can articulate their Core Values passionately and are in need of financial assistance.
To learn more about the Core Values Challenge before you apply, read the above and visit: https://flyinryanhawks.org/
For scholarship materials, visit: https://flyinryanhawks.org/adventure-scholarship-program/